Current:Home > StocksFederal judge temporarily blocks plans for a power line in Mississippi River wildlife refuge -FinTechWorld
Federal judge temporarily blocks plans for a power line in Mississippi River wildlife refuge
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 01:29:56
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A federal judge has temporarily blocked plans to build a high-voltage power line across a Mississippi River wildlife refuge, saying he wants to see documents detailing the lead-up to the project’s approval.
U.S. District Judge William Conley issued a preliminary injunction on Thursday preventing American Transmission Company, ITC Midwest and Dairyland Power Cooperative from beginning construction on a one-mile portion of the Cardinal-Hickory Creek transmission line that would cross the refuge. He extended the injunction indefinitely following a hearing in Madison on Friday morning.
The 345-kilovolt power line would run 102 miles (164 kilometers) between Iowa’s Dubuque County and Wisconsin’s Dane County. A section of the line would cross the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge near Cassville, Wisconsin.
The refuge serves as a haven for fish, wildlife and migratory birds that use it as breeding grounds. It is the only stopping point left for many migratory birds that use the Mississippi Flyway. Conservationists fear the transmission line will damage the refuge and have been working for years to stop the project in court.
The National Wildlife Refuge Association, the Driftless Area Land Conservancy and the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation filed a federal lawsuit earlier this month. The groups allege the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued final approvals for the refuge crossing in February without giving the public a chance to comment. They also argue that the agency and the utilities improperly reached a deal calling for the utilities to transfer about 36 acres (15 hectares) south of Cassville to the refuge in exchange for 19 acres (8 hectares) within the refuge for the power line.
The conservationists told the judge they needed an injunction quickly because the land deal was set to close Friday and the utilities have already positioned construction equipment on the edges of the refuge.
Attorneys for both sides sparred for about 90 minutes in front of Conley on Friday morning.
The conservationists’ lawyer, Howard Learner, told Conley that FWS released final documents this past February that found the land deal would have no significant impact on the refuge without offering the public a chance to comment on it.
He also argued that FWS never considered whether the power line would be a compatible use for refuge land as required by the 1997 National Wildlife Refuge System Act.
Reade Wilson, a U.S. Department of Justice attorney representing FWS, countered that the conservation groups commented on an environmental assessment of the project released in September and the agency was under no obligation to open up the no-impact finding for public comment. She went on to contend that the compatibility test doesn’t apply to a land exchange. Conley seemed incredulous, saying she was asking him to ignore that a power line would be running across the land.
In the end, Conley said he would extend the injunction until the parties provide him with a more extensive record of what steps were and weren’t taken during the run-up to the final approval in February. He said once the record was made available, the attorneys would have 30 days to submit briefs.
Outside of court, Learner said the conservationists were pleased to see Conley extend the injunction. The Driftless Area Land Conservancy and the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation issued a joint statement praising the decision.
“We should not set a precedent that a simple land swap is all it takes to plow through a national treasure,” Driftless Area Land Conservancy Executive Director Jennifer Filipiak said in the statement.
Wilson didn’t immediately respond to an email sent after the hearing requesting comment.
ITC Midwest and Dairyland Power officials released a joint statement after the hearing saying the utilities disagree with the injunction. FWS acted within its legal authority under federal law and the line will help deliver reliable electricity from renewable sources to customers, they said.
The utilities added that they’re striving to minimize the environmental impact within the refuge, in part by avoiding any grading.
ATC media officials didn’t immediately respond to emails sent after the hearing seeking comment.
veryGood! (62866)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Inside Leighton Meester and Adam Brody's Super-Private Love Story
- Louisiana lawmaker proposes adding nitrogen gas and electrocution to the state’s execution methods
- Tinder, Hinge and other dating apps encourage ‘compulsive’ use, lawsuit claims
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- How Gigi Hadid and Bradley Cooper Spent Their First Valentine's Day Together
- Spit hoods can be deadly. Police keep using them anyway.
- Avalanche kills 1 backcountry skier, leaves 2 others with head injuries in Alaska
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Human remains and car found in creek linked to 1982 cold case, North Carolina police say
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Ambulance transporting patient narrowly avoids car flipping across snowy highway: Video
- YouTuber Twomad Dead at 23
- Snoop Dogg creates his own Paris Summer Olympics TV reporter title: 'Just call me the OG'
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- With student loan payments resuming and inflation still high, many struggle to afford the basics
- MLB Network celebrates career of Joe Buck in latest 'Sounds of Baseball' episode
- Soccer star Megan Rapinoe criticized those who celebrated her career-ending injury
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
A guide to parental controls on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, more social platforms
'Heartbroken': Travis Kelce, Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs players react to shooting
Journalists turn to picket lines as the news business ails
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Will Donald Trump go on trial next month in New York criminal case? Judge expected to rule Thursday
Travis Kelce Heartbroken Over Deadly Shooting at Kansas City Chiefs' 2024 Super Bowl Parade
As Marvel reveals the new ‘Fantastic Four’ cast, here’s a look back at all the past versions